Knowledgebase: 9. Paysera Visa card
9.31. I did not make a payment, but it was debited from my account. What should I do?

If you decide to dispute a transaction that was made with your card, first of all contact the merchant. This would be the fastest solution to the problem. 

If you are unable to contact the seller or solve the dispute, contact the Client Service Centre immediately, but not later than within 3 months from learning about illegal or improper payment transaction.